Translate

Sunday, December 31, 2023

BARBIE 12/31/23





L. Margot Robbie  R. Ryan Gosling

Just finished seeing the overblown, overhyped film Barbie - I tried twice before and had to turn it off - I was so repelled - so tonight I decided to attempt again to see it through to the end. Hooray - I did just that and alas my original perception was never challenged as Ideas and even musical numbers were flattened out as if steamrolled into their hairline dimension by a Gerwig/ Baumbach screenplay. 

 Sure the graphics and costumes are cute and so are the Barbies and Kens, but this is a shallow, cliched movie - using war-between-the-sexes "word-speak" language to talk about the faults of a Patriarchy vs. the strength and beauty of a Matriarchy both of which are portrayed with pure Hollywood glitz. "Stereotypical Barbie" acted by Margot Robbie is as stereotypical as the film devoid of any emotion. The movie characters are plastic, smoothed to the touch physically, and leveled to the ground like talcum powder.

 I was a Ryan Gosling fan but jeez in order to see him again I will have to erase his loopy KEN performance from my mind's eye. 

 If this is considered a "feminist film" I would re-evaluate what people think Feminism is today. Is it PINK?

No comments:

Post a Comment